Useful Links

Useful Links


Glebe Primary

Glebe Primary





Special Educational Needs




Contact details

Telephone: 01273 592163


At Glebe Primary School we aim to provide access to a broad, balanced and differentiated curriculum for all children, including those who are in need of special educational provision to address their academic, emotional or physical abilities. We have high aspirations and expectations for all pupils and aim to ensure children are able to participate in all aspects of school life and develop a positive self-image, in order to achieve their potential and develop the confidence and skills to become independent learners living a fulfilling life.

What is special educational needs and disability (SEND)?

The 2014 SEND Code of Practice: 0 – 25 years says that:

A child has Special Educational Needs (SEN) if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her. At compulsory school age this means he or she has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others the same age, or, has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools. 

What categories of SEN are there?

Special Educational Needs can be categorised into one of the following broad areas:

  • Communication and interaction – includes autistic spectrum disorders
  • Cognition and learning – includes moderate or severe learning difficulties and specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia, dyspraxia, dyscalculia
  • Social, emotional and mental health – includes anxiety, ADHD and attachment disorder
  • Sensory and/or physical need – includes hearing or visual impairments

For some children their needs may occur across more than one of these areas and may change over time. The purpose of identification is to work out what action the school needs to take, not to fit the child into a category. Glebe identifies the needs of pupils holistically, taking into account all the needs of an individual.

Behavioural difficulties do not necessarily mean that a child has a SEN and should not automatically lead to a child being registered as having SEN. Concerns relating to a child’s behaviour should be described as an underlying response to a need which the school must recognise and identify clearly as we know the child well. This also applies to children who have English as an additional language. Children who under achieve do not necessarily have SEN needs.

What is an Educational and Health Care Plan (EHCP)?  

An EHCP is a plan for your child which has been agreed by a Local Education Authority (LEA) identifying that a child has a particular high level of need.  The plan will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the LEA and how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long and short term goals for your child.  Additional funding from the LEA is also provided to meet the needs of the child.

What happens if my child is identified with a Special Educational Needs and Disability?

Glebe maintains a school register of all children with a special educational need and disability. This register records the child’s name and their identified area of need as listed above. This register is reviewed every term by the class teacher and SENCO to show changes in child placement. Children will go onto this register when, as the Code of Practice suggests, they are identified as having a SEN or do not make adequate progress even though they have had interventions/adjustments and good quality teaching and personalised teaching.

The length of time a child spends on the school’s SEND register will vary greatly as each child has their own unique needs.  When an SEN is identified parents/carers will have a formal conversation with the SENCO stating that their child will now be on the school’s SEND register and their main category of need best identified. Parents/carers will already know of this information having been fully involved in the assessment of their child’s needs.

The school works to develop a trusting relationship with parents/carers. Through this relationship a decision will be reached together to make the decision for a child to be taken off the school’s SEND register. It is the school’s policy to allow at least a term of monitoring a SEN child before they are taken off the SEND register. This will allow the school to see how the child is learning and progressing without any additional support and the progress they are making. It is only when all parties – the school, parent/carer and child – are happy with the progress that a child will be removed from the register. This child will continue to be monitored termly progress meeting to ensure progress continues.

What should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?  

The class teacher is the initial point of contact for responding to your concerns. Mrs Phillips who is the school’s Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) can also be contacted through the school office. 

How will I know how Glebe Primary School supports my child?

At Glebe we use a whole school approach to identifying children who have needs which builds up a full picture of a child’s needs.  Staff are familiar with this approach and it will involve parents/carers and your child. Support will take the form of a four-part cycle (Assess – Plan – Do – Review) through which earlier decisions and actions are revisited, refined and revised with a growing understanding of your child’s needs and what supports your child in making good progress and securing good outcomes. This is known as the graduated approach. 

Your child’s education programme will be planned by their class teacher. It will be differentiated accordingly to suit their individual needs. This may include additional general support by the teacher or teaching assistant in class.  

If your child has needs related to a more specific area of their education, such as spelling, handwriting, numeracy and literacy skills etc. then they may be placed in a small focus group. This will be run by the teacher or teaching assistant. The length of time of the intervention will vary according to their need but will generally be for half a term. The interventions will be regularly reviewed by all involved to evaluate the effectiveness of the provision and to inform future planning. 

These interventions will be recorded on the class Provision Map or child’s Personal Progress Plan (these are records of the interventions, timings, and impact of the intervention). 

At parent/carer consultation evenings held termly in the school the class teacher will give details about the support/ interventions your child is receiving giving further details about the type of support they are receiving, when it will start and end, and the staff member delivering the intervention. 

Pupil Progress Meetings are held each term. This is a meeting where the class teacher meets with the Leadership Team to discuss the progress of the children in their class. This shared discussion may highlight any potential problems in order for further support to be planned. 

Occasionally a child may need more expert support from an outside agency such as the Speech and Language therapist, Educational Psychologist etc. A referral will be made, with your consent and forwarded to the most appropriate agency. After a series of assessments, a programme of support is usually provided to the school and parents/carers. 

What support will my child get?

Interventions/support are identified on an individual needs basis through whole school procedures in place such as Parent Consultations, pupil progress meetings and termly meetings with the SENCO and class teacher. Depending on the child’s identified need and the staffing available for support, interventions will be planned by the SENCO or class teacher for groups or individuals. This identification is based on the level of need for an identified child. Sometimes support is put into place immediately, planned in advance or implemented when the staff and resources become available next to ensure effective provision.

Intervention support will happen in or outside the class and in different size groups depending on the nature of your child’s needs.  For example, a child needing support with being more resilience will work in a group of approximately 8 children outside the classroom once a week for 6 weeks with the SENCO, TA or the school’s learning mentor. This intervention would happen in a afternoon.   Speech and language support takes place during the school day.

We have a number of policies and procedures in place that contribute to our SEND support which can be viewed in the School Policies section of our website.