Life in Year 6
There’s probably only one word to describe life in Year 6- busy! Year 6 means the end of primary school and building up to saying ’Goodbye to Glebe’. There’s a lot to get done. We need to choose secondary schools, visit these schools and make sure we are in the best possible place to be secondary school ready. And we can’t forget the end of primary school assessments -SATS- that we need to be ready for in May and show off just how awesome we are.
But whilst we work hard, we play hard too. There’s sporting activities and tournaments, a fantastic offsite residential, our ‘Red Carpet Assembly’ and a creating legendary musical to top it all off!
So, hold onto your hats Year 6. It’s busy. It’s fun. It’s hard work. But we promise it’s worth it.
Meet the team
- 6 Castrillon Alli Godfrey (Year Leader)
- 6 Ermos Gemma Baker
- Teaching assistants: Tracey Cullen (HLTA) and Sue Mepham (HLTA)
Autumn Term Topic 2019: Shake it like Shakespeare!
Our topic this term is Shake it like Shakespeare! This is an exciting opportunity for your children to learn more about this extraordinary writer and the impact he has had on theatres around the world for the last four hundred years.
Our Shakespeare theme will link to several subjects across the curriculum:
- In Literacy, we will looking at an adapted version of the famous play ‘Macbeth’ and responding through drama, music, a range of creative writing, poetry and role play.
- In History & Geography, we will be exploring and researching the impact Shakespeare’s writing had on the literary world, who was William Shakespeare? Elizabethan and Tudor theatre, the history of the Globe Theatre, the history of witches & Witchcraft as well as geographical features of where many of Shakespeare’s plays were set.
- In DT, we will be exploring set design and construction and costume design.
- In R.E, the children will be studying ‘The Planet Program’ where they will be learning about the differences and diversity of a single community.
- In Computing the children will be learning how to safely use the internet on computers and other devices and film making/stop motion.
- In Art, we will be exploring and recreating, in our own unique way, portrait styles and techniques through the centuries.
- In Music, we will be learning a range of songs based on Shakespeare’s plays accompanied by percussion instruments.
Autumn Topic Overview 2019
Click here for an enlarged version
Our WOW days
How we teach English and Maths at Glebe Primary School
Please click here for further information on our English curriculum
Please click here for further information on our Maths curriculum
For all other subjects please see our curriculum section on the home page.
Our Year 6 Main Curriculum Overview 2019/20