Life in Year 2
Welcome to Year 2! In Year 2 the children build on their knowledge and skills from Year 1 with an increased emphasis on becoming more independent learners. During Year 2 the children will experience four enjoyable and immersive topics: ‘Tales, Turrets and Tiaras’, ‘Fire and Ice’, ‘Cracking the Code’ and ‘Incredible India’. Each topic will inspire and motivate the children to engage with their learning and encourage curiosity. During the year the children will experience trips out of school and also workshops at school to full immerse them in the topic.
In Literacy, the children will explore model fiction, non-fiction and poetry texts and use these to support their own writing. In Maths, the children will be supported and challenged when learning new mathematical concepts. Reasoning and problem solving are both important Maths skills that the children will develop further in Year 2.
Year 2 is an exciting and busy year so it is important that the children in Year 2 have excellent attendance. Over the year we will be having lots of fun in Year 2 and will also be preparing the children for their end of Key Stage 1 SATs tests, also known as ‘Secret Agent Training’. We will have secret agent training practise throughout the year so the children will feel ready for the real thing in May. To celebrate the end of the SATs the children will have a special ‘Secret Agent’ day when will we dress up and spend the day solving mysteries and cracking codes!
Meet the team
- 2 Henn Martha Williams (Year Leader)
- 2 Paker-Rees Hattie Leeves
- 2 Duddle Annabelle Fox
- Teaching Assistants: Jo Day and Jo Gravestock
Autumn Term Topic 2019: 'Tales, Turrets and Tiaras'
Our Topic this half-term is ‘Tales, Turrets and Tiaras’– a history based topic in which the children will be learning about castles and medieval times. On Wednesday 16thand Thursday 17thOctober we will be visiting Lewes Castle, which we are sure will be an interesting and inspiring day. During the term we will learn about what life would have been like in a medieval castle and significant kings and queens who lived in castles.
Our castles theme will also be linked to several other subjects across the curriculum:
- In Literacy we will learn how to write a set of instructions, with the title ‘How to trap a dragon’ and we’ll look at kenning poems about dragons. After half term Year 2 will explore traditional and alternative fairy tales with a focus on the story The Paper Bag Princessby Robert Munsch.
- In Art we will develop our pencil techniques by learning about line, tone and shading when creating sketches of castles. We will then look at the painting Castle and the Sunby Paul Klee and use this as inspiration for our own abstract pictures of castles.
- In Science the children will be describing and comparing materials. They will plan and carry out an investigation to find out which material is best for building a dragon’s den.
To help Year 2 immerse themselves in our topic we will be taking part in a Castles, Knights and Princesses drama workshop on Thursday 14th November where the children can dress up in medieval themed costumes. There will also be a range of other activities throughout our dress-up day bringing our learning about castles to life.
Autumn Topic Overview 2019
Year 2 WOW days
- We found a dragon's egg!
- We visited Lewes Castle
- Recounts of our Lewes trip
- Drama Workshop
- Author Sophy Henn Visit
How we teach English and Maths at Glebe Primary School
Please click here for further information on our English curriculum
Please click here for further information on our Maths curriculum
For all other subjects please see our curriculum section on the home page.
Our Year 2 Curriculum Overview 2019-20