Information for New Reception Parents/Carers
We are delighted to welcome you to Glebe Primary School. Our school is a welcoming and committed to developing your children to become resilient, motivated, and curious learners.
We have created two videos which showcase our learning environment and the Early Years vision at Glebe Primary School.
Prospective Parents 2023 - 2024
Details for our open day for perspective parents/carers for 2023 - 2024.
Thank you for showing an interest. Tours for the September 2024 starters will begin in September 2023. A series of tour dates will be placed on the website in early September which will contain further information. Please click the Admissions link to find out our tour dates. Admissions - How to join Glebe (Parents / Carers menu tab). Our school website also contains some key information about the school and life in YR.
New Starters for Reception September 2024
- Welcome Letter
- New Starter 'Key Information'
- New Starter Questionnaire
- Induction 2023-24
Ahead of your child starting school in September there are going to be a series of induction events:
- In early July 2024 we will have a welcome meeting, informing you of the class your child will be in. This will be an opportunity for you to meet your child’s class teacher in the EYFS learning environment. This meeting is for parents/carers only and will last for approximately 45 minutes.
- We will also have a stay and play session to welcome you and your child to Glebe. During this session your child will meet their class teacher and teaching assistant. This will be the children’s opportunity to explore their classroom and their outdoor learning environment. During this session your child will also be provided with a small learning pack of activities which will allow them to practice some key skills during the summer holidays in order to prepare for school.
All children will then begin school in September 2024, full time at 08:30am (normal school hours).
Early Years Vision
In the Early Years at Glebe Primary we want children to be happy confident, well rounded individuals with a love for learning. We believe in providing all children with a safe and stimulating environment that builds on each individual’s wants, needs and interests.
We are committed to providing the best possible start to their school life, teaching them skills and giving them experiences which will ensure their well-being now and success in the future.
The Learning Space
We have a great Early Years department that is purpose built for young children with a large outdoor space and good sized classrooms. There are three classes that make up the Early Years department with a maximum of 30 children in each class. Although your child is allocated to an individual class they have the opportunity to integrate with other children during the school day.
In Reception, we base our learning on the children’s interests and ideas. The children are encouraged to become independent learners and problem solvers through stimulating play, learning and a caring environment. In Reception we offer a play-based curriculum with exciting learning opportunities in the seven areas of learning:
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- Communication and Language
- Physical Development
- Understanding the World
- Expressive Arts and Design
The School Day
Teaching in Reception is organised through a range of approaches and we provide a balance of child initiated and adult-led activities:
- Planned focused activities where adults work with a small group of children at a time.
- Teachers will differentiate the activity to meet the needs of every child participating.
- Small group teaching of early reading and writing through a phonics based programme called Read Write Inc. Phonics
- Whole class teaching for short periods of time such as shared storytime, direct teaching (for example of maths), songs and rhymes, discussions and sharing work.
- Opportunities for teachers to work alongside children as they develop their own interests in particular areas of the curriculum.
Physical Education (P.E)
Reception children take part in daily physical activity through their everyday learning. The children in Reception will also be engaging in ‘Jasmine Real PE’ session a week. On the day of their P.E session your child will come dress in their P.E kit for the school day.
- Morning session - 8.30am – 11. 15am
Our class doors open at 8.30 am. Teachers make themselves visible at the classroom doors and your child will enter the classroom putting their bookbag and coat away. The children will then self-register themselves by finding their name.
- Lunchtime - 11.15am - 12.15 pm
The government provide free school meals for children in Reception to Year 2. Alternatively, you can send your child in with a packed lunch.
- Afternoon session - 12.15 pm – 3.00pm
Children will return to the classroom for the afternoon session and will be dismissed at 3.00pm by the class teachers. During this time there is a chance to have an informal chat about your child’s day at school and to pass on any relevant information.
One of our key aims is to make the transition into school life as smooth as possible for all children and parents/carers. We enjoy working closely with parents/carers and feeder Nursery settings to ensure we develop each child’s love of learning. In the June/July before your child starts school in September you will be invited to attend an information meeting. In addition, your child will have the opportunity to visit the school for some stay and play sessions.
First Few Weeks
During the first few weeks in school your child will be learning the routines and building relationships with all the children and staff. We will be focussing on prime areas of learning which are: Personal, Social and Emotional Development, Communication and Language and Physical Development.
In Reception, we work in partnership with parents/carers to promote the learning and development of all children. Parents/carers are a child’s most important educators, therefore, we endeavour to involve and support parents in as many opportunities as we can.
- Class Dojo
In Reception we use Class Dojo which is a secure online Learning Journal to record photos, observations and comments, in line with the Early Years Foundation Stage curriculum, to build up a record of your child’s experiences during their time with us.
This system allows us to work with parents and carers to share information and record the children’s play and learning in and outside of the classroom.
Class Dojo is a website which can be accessed on a computer or laptop, and also on any Apple or Android device such as a tablet or smart phone.